Roaming Computing System (Windows Edition) 3.6
A complete computing system for an organisation. This version is currently receiving security updates.
Workstations use Windows XP (SP3, 32-bit) with the following software:
Audacity 1.2.6; FileZilla 188.8.131.52; Firefox 3.6.8* (with Zotero 2.0.3); Foxit Reader 3.3.1.0518; GIMP 2.6.10; InfraRecorder 0.50; Inkscape 0.47; Irfanview 4.25; KompoZer 0.7.10; OpenOffice (Go-oo) 3.2.0-13; Picasa 3.6 Build 95.25; Pidgin 2.6.3*; Scribus 1.3.6; Thunderbird 3.1.1* (with Lightning 1.0b2); Windows Media Player 11
7-Zip 4.65; Adblock Plus 1.2.1 for Firefox; Adobe Universal PostScript Driver 1.0.6; CCleaner (Slim) 2.26.1050; CUPS PostScript printer driver for Windows 6.0; Enigmail 1.1.2 for Thunderbird; Eraser 5.86a; Flash Player 10.1.82.76* for Firefox; GIMP Help 2.6.0; GNU Ghostscript 8.63 for Scribus; GnuPG 1.4.9 for Enigmail; Irfanview Plugins 4.20; K-Lite Codec Pack (Standard) 5.7.0*; Mail Redirect 0.7.4 for Thunderbird; Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0.1963* **; Sun Java Runtime Environment 6.0 update 21*; MySQL Connector/ODBC 3.51.26; MySpell dictionary (English - GB) 1.16 for Thunderbird; Nero BurnRights 184.108.40.206; Notepad++ 5.6.6; Ogg Codec Pack 0.71.0946; OpenOffice language pack (EN-UK) 3.2.0-13; Pidgin OTR 3.2.0; Putty 0.60; QT Lite 3.1.0*; Real Alternative Lite 2.0.1; UltraVNC 1.0.2; Windows Media Player plugin for Firefox 220.127.116.11; WinSCP 4.1.9; WPKG Client 1.3.9; Zotero OpenOffice plugin 3.0a7; Zotero PDF indexing
- TWEAK 0.9.4.2 and TWEAK (Unattended) 0.9.6 are used for configuration
The server uses Debian 4.0 'Etch', a Linux operating system (or 5.0 'Lenny' if mail server not required). The Windows domain is provided by Samba 3.0.24. Print serving (optional) is provided by CUPS 1.2.7 and Samba. Mail serving is provided by Postfix 2.3.8, Dovecot 1.0 POP3/IMAP and SASL, AMaViS 2.4.2, Clam AntiVirus 0.93.1*, SpamAssassin 3.2.3*, Squirrelmail 1.4.9a and Virtual Mail Manager 1.7. Desktop software auto deployment is provided by WPKG 1.1.2.
The firewall appliance uses pfSense 1.2.3.
* and later through our security updates. ** and later through automatic updates.
- Latest Version: 3.6.34 on 2 September 2012
- Release Notes - upgrade advice, known issues, continually updated
- General changelog
- To-do list
- packages.xml changelog
Day-to-day Admin Guides
- Admin Guide
- Making user accounts - Windows domain accounts, mailboxes and forwardings
- Making user accounts - supplemental guide for major proprietary applications
System Setup Guides
- Setting up the server
- Setting up the firewall
- Setting up a workstation (full install)
- Setting up a workstation (from image)
- Setting up a workstation - supplemental guide for major proprietary applications
Custom Files For System Setup
- TWEAK (Unattended) 0.9.6 - a version of TWEAK for use with WPKG to automate system configuration and in logon scripts. Download tweak-0.9.6-unattended.zip or see the changelog.
- netlogon.txt - append this to the end of the logon script, netlogon.bat, to apply RCS 3.6-specific user configuration
- packages.xml - for WPKG to know how to install, upgrade & remove applications
- profiles.xml - for WPKG to know which applications to install
- hosts.xml - for WPKG to know which workstations to install on
- wpkg-client-settings.xml - Settings for WPKG Client (requires adding the organisation-specific domain name (in 'WPKG path user' or 'path-user') and winuser password (in 'WPKG path password' or 'path-password', note you must add this one from within WPKG Client as it's encrypted) then export to \\server\windows-admin\wpkg\wpkg-client\ for import to other workstations)
- openoffice-installer-customisation.mst - OpenOffice installer settings
- ultravnc-installer-settings.inf - UltraVNC installer settings
- ultravnc-program-settings.reg - UltraVNC program settings (with 'Password' setting (in hex) removed)
- klite-settings.ini - K-Lite Codec Pack installer settings
- remove-all-packages.bat - uses WPKG to remove all installed packages, useful for testing purposes