Roaming Computing System (Windows Edition) 3.5
A complete computing system for an organisation.
Workstations use Windows XP (SP3, 32-bit) with the following software:
Foxit Reader 3.1.1.0901; Audacity 1.2.6; F-Prot 18.104.22.168 (and later through auto updates); FileZilla 3.1.6; Firefox 3.5.3 (with Zotero 1.0.10); GIMP 2.6.3; InfraRecorder 0.46.1; Inkscape 0.46; Irfanview 4.20; KompoZer 0.7.10; OpenOffice 3.1.1; Picasa 3.1 build 70.73; Pidgin 2.5.2; Scribus 22.214.171.124; Thunderbird 126.96.36.199 (with Lightning 0.9); Windows Media Player 11
7-Zip 4.64; Adblock Plus 1.1.1 for Firefox, Adobe Universal PostScript Driver 1.0.6; CCleaner (Slim) 2.16.830; CUPS PostScript printer driver for Windows 6.0; Enigmail 0.95.7 for Thunderbird; Eraser 5.86a; Flash Player 10.0.32.18 for Firefox; GIMP Help 2-2.4; GNU Ghostscript 8.63 for Scribus; GnuPG 1.4.9 for Enigmail; Irfanview Plugins 4.20; K-Lite Codec Pack (Standard) 4.34; Mail Redirect 0.7.4 for Thunderbird; Sun Java Runtime Environment 6.0 update 11; MySQL Connector/ODBC 3.51.26; MySpell dictionary (English - GB) 1.16 for Thunderbird; Nero BurnRights 188.8.131.52; Notepad++ 5.0.3; ODF Converter Integrator 0.2.1; Ogg Codec Pack 0.71.0946; Pidgin OTR 3.2.0; Putty 0.60; QT Lite 2.9.0; Real Alternative Lite 1.9.0; UltraVNC 1.0.2; WinSCP 4.1.8; WPKG Client 1.2.1; Zotero OpenOffice plugin; Zotero PDF indexing
- TWEAK 0.9.4.2 and TWEAK (Unattended) 0.9.5 are used for configuration
The server uses Debian 4.0 'Etch', a Linux operating system. The Windows domain is provided by Samba 3.0.24. Print serving (optional) is provided by CUPS 1.2.7 and Samba. Mail serving is provided by Postfix 2.3.8, Dovecot 1.0 POP3/IMAP and SASL, AMaViS 2.4.2, Clam AntiVirus 0.93.1 (and later through auto updates), SpamAssassin 3.2.3 (and later, through updates), Squirrelmail 1.4.9a and Virtual Mail Manager 1.7. Desktop software auto deployment is provided by WPKG 1.0.2.
The firewall appliance uses pfSense 1.2.2.
- Release Notes - upgrade advice, known issues, continually updated
- General Changelog
- To-do list (plain text format)
- WPKG packages.xml changelog
- User Guide
- Connecting Thunderbird to your mailbox(es) (OpenDocument format) - a guide to setting up Thunderbird to connect to your mailbox(es). Consider printing it out and sticking it up on the wall.
Day-to-day Admin Guides
- Admin Guide
- Making user accounts - Windows domain accounts, mailboxes and forwardings
- Making user accounts - supplemental guide for major proprietary applications
System Setup Guides
- Setting up the server
- Setting up the firewall
- Setting up a workstation (full install)
- Setting up a workstation (from image)
- Setting up a workstation - supplemental guide for major proprietary applications
Custom Files For System Setup
This is for files not already covered by the server and Samba guides, or for forked versions of files appearing in those guides.
- TWEAK (Unattended) 0.9.5 - TWEAK re-engineered for unattended use. Used by the new logon script and WPKG
- netlogon.txt - addendum to add to the end of netlogon.bat, contains RCS 3.5 user configuration
- packages.xml - for WPKG to know how to install, upgrade & remove apps
- profiles.xml - for WPKG to know which apps to install
- hosts.xml - for WPKG to know which workstations to install on
- wpkg-client-settings.xml - Settings for WPKG Client (requires adding the organisation-specific domain name (in 'WPKG path user' or 'path-user') and winuser password (in 'WPKG path password' or 'path-password', note you must add this one from within WPKG Client as it's encrypted) then export to \\server\windows-admin\wpkg\wpkg-client\ for import to other workstations)
- openoffice-installer-customisation.mst - OpenOffice installer settings
- ultravnc-installer-settings.inf - UltraVNC installer settings
- ultravnc-program-settings.reg - UltraVNC program settings (with 'Password' setting removed)
- klite-settings.ini - K-Lite Codec Pack installer settings