Roaming Computing System (Windows Edition) 3.2
A complete computing system for an organisation.
Workstations use Windows XP (SP3, 32-bit) with the following software:
- Applications and utilities:
7-Zip 4.57; Adobe Reader 8.1.2; ASpell 0.50.3 with ASpell dictionaries (English) 0.50-2-3; Audacity 1.2.6; Eraser 5.82; F-Prot 220.127.116.11 (and later, through auto updates); FileZilla 3.0.7; Firefox 18.104.22.168 with Adblock Plus 0.7.5.3 and Flash Player 22.214.171.124; GIMP 2.4.5 with GIMP Help 2-2.4; InfraRecorder 0.45 with Nero BurnRights 126.96.36.199; Inkscape 0.46; Irfanview 4.10 with Irfanview Plugins 4.10; KompoZer 0.7.10; Notepad++ 4.8.1; OpenOffice 2.4.0; Picasa 2.7 build 37.49; Pidgin 2.4.1 with Pidgin OTR 3.1.0; Putty 0.60; Scribus 188.8.131.52 with (GNU) Ghostscript 8.61; Thunderbird 184.108.40.206 with Lightning 0.8, Enigmail 0.95.6, GnuPG 1.4.8, MySpell dictionary (English - GB) 1.18 and Mail Redirect 0.7.4; UltraVNC 1.0.2; WinSCP 4.0.6; WPKG Client 1.2.1; Windows Media Player 11 and Ogg Codec Pack 0.71.0946
- Drivers and runtime environments:
Adobe Universal PostScript Driver 1.0.6; CUPS PostScript printer driver for Windows 6.0; Sun Java Runtime Environment 6.0 update 4; MySQL Connector/ODBC 3.51.12
The server uses Debian 4.0 'Etch', a Linux operating system. The Windows domain is provided by Samba 3.0.24. Print serving (optional) is provided by CUPS 1.2.7 and Samba. Mail serving is provided by Postfix 2.3.8, Dovecot 1.0 POP3/IMAP and SASL, AMaViS 2.4.2, Clam AntiVirus 0.92.1 (and later, through updates), SpamAssassin 3.2.3 (and later, through updates), Squirrelmail 1.4.9a, Virtual Mail Manager and goldfish. Desktop software auto deployment is provided by WPKG 1.0.2.
The firewall appliance uses pfSense 1.2.0.
- Release Notes - upgrade advice, known issues, continually updated
- General Changelog
- To-do list (plain text format)
- WPKG packages.xml changelog
- User Guide
- Connecting Thunderbird to your mailbox(es) (OpenDocument format) - a guide to setting up Thunderbird to connect to your mailbox(es). Consider printing it out and sticking it up on the wall.
Day-to-day Admin Guides
- Accidental Administrator's Guide
- Making user accounts
- Making user accounts - major proprietary applications
System Setup Guides
- Setting up the server
- Setting up the firewall
- Setting up a workstation (full install)
- Setting up a workstation (from image) - work in progress
- Setting up a workstation - supplemental guide for major proprietary applications
Custom Files For System Setup
- packages.xml for WPKG
- profiles.xml for WPKG
- hosts.xml for WPKG
- Settings for WPKG Client (requires adding organisation-specific domain name (in 'WPKG path user' or 'path-user') and winuser password (in 'WPKG path password' or 'path-password')
- ultravnc-installer-settings.inf - UltraVNC installer settings
- ultravnc-program-settings.reg - UltraVNC program settings (requires organisation-specific password adding)