Twix - Changelog
Twix is available from http://thegoldenear.org/toolbox/unices/twix/.
Version 0.3.7 - 17 July 2009
- 'Linux Kernels' - added Debian Etch'n'Half kernels
- 'Roaming Computing System (Windows Edition)' - 'Create sub-groups and shared directories for the organisation-wide group' - changed to new method described in my Debian Etch Samba guide of hosting all sub-group directories in the one 'restricted' directory (R:)
- Labeled menu for regular Debian 4.0 Etch kernels as also being appropriate for Debian 5.0 Lenny
Version 0.3.6.1 - 29 June 2009
- Indicated that the Roaming Computing System section works with up to version 3.4
- Removed stray invisible character in line 655 that gave error message that flashed up briefly on startup
Version 0.3.6 - 12 March 2008
- Server System Software Installation - Database server (MySQL) - no longer sets the MySQL password for you because it was mistakenly adding an actual password of ''$MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD''
- Roaming Computing System (Windows Edition) 3.0 - 3.2 Configuration - When you add a new user it no longer prompts to add them to the shared organisation group. You now need to additionally use 'Add a user to a group' for that. This is because it isn't a given that you want each user to have access to the shared drive.
Version 0.3.5 - 29 February 2008
- Server Software - OpenSSH server - tried to install 'openssh' rather than 'openssh-server'
- 'Desktop Software, Part 2' -> 'Video editing' - menu option didn't work
- menu option for Linux 2.6 kernel for amd64 didn't work
- removed php4-cli from bluefish
Version 0.3.4 - 15 October 2007
- Server Software - added additional phpmyadmin that makes sure it installs with PHP5, Apache2 (Prefork MPM) and php5-mysql
- Server Software - PHP 5 - changed from the php5 package to libapache2-mod-php5
- Server Software - PHP 5 - changed php-pear package to php-pear
- Server Software - PHP 5 - added php5-dev package for PEAR
- Server Software - created separate web server section with Apache and PHP
- Server Software - replaced 'apache2' option with the following 'Apache 2.2 (with Worker MPM)', 'Apache 2.2 (with Prefork MPM)' and 'Apache 2.2 (with Event MPM)'
Version 0.3.3 - 11 October 2007
- Server Software - OpenSSH server - split into 'ssh' (which is both the SSH client and the SSH server, for Debian Sarge) and openssh-server (which is just the SSH server, for Debian Etch)
- Server Software - Web server - split into Apache and Apache2 options
- Server Software - Mail Server - Configure mail server - the admin user provider_admin@localhost may not work because it appears to be coming from email@example.com (or whatever your local domain is) (you get the error "localhost postfix/trivial-rewrite: warning: connect to mysql server 127.0.0.1: Host 'localhost.localdomain' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server". So an account is now created for firstname.lastname@example.org. If your domain is named differently this won't help you. (In Debian Etch MySQL 5 will understand that these two host entries are identical.
- Server Software - Mail Server - Configure mail server - said it was going to set the 'mynetworks' option Postfix's main.cf from '127.0.0.0/8' to '127.0.0.0/8, 10.0.0.0/8' but was actually wrongly setting it to '127.0.0.1/8, 10.0.0.0/8'. It's not until you come to upgrade to Debian Etch that you notice this because I don't believe the 127.0.0.0/1 is used (rather the 10.0.0.0) and Debian Sarge's Postfix doesn't complain where-as Debian Etch's Postfix refuses to run, saying "fatal: non-null host address bits in "127.0.0.1/8", perhaps you should use "127.0.0.0/8" instead."
Version 0.3.2 - 31 August 2007
- Added Testing Security updates
- Added sarge-proposed-updates (main and contrib) [UK] repository
- Added sarge-proposed-updates (main, contrib and non-free) [UK] repository
- Added etch-proposed-updates (main and contrib) [UK] repository
- Added etch-proposed-updates (main, contrib and non-free) [UK] repository
- Added debian-multimedia repository for Debian Lenny and Testing
- Removed p7zip-full from minor useful tools as it's in the Archival section
- Removed option to 'Remove Mozilla suite, Epiphany, Gnumeric and GNOME games'
- Labeled IBM Thinkpad section as for Debian 3.1/Sarge only
- Liferea, Freeloader and Gnomebaker for Etch menu options didn't work
- Split 'Package Repository Configuration' section into 'official Debian repositories' and 'other repositories'
Note: where appropriate, changes are categorised as either
FEATURE - a new option
ENHANCEMENT - improving existing functionality
FIX - fixes to existing functionality where they're broken
UPDATE - i.e. updating directory names or menu text in relation to a new version of a software application
Version 0.3.1 - 14 August 2007
- ENHANCEMENT - Added Squirrelmail Apache configuration to respond to mail.server
- FIX - Squirrelmail Apache configuration was mistakenly for Apache 2 not Apache
Version 0.3.0 - 12 August 2007
- ENHANCEMENT - Roaming Computing System (Windows Edition) 2.0 Configuration - updated for version 3.0 and 3.1 (apart from, for now, 'Install and configure a Samba Domain Controller')
- FEATURE - Internet (client) applications - added liferea and freeloader
- FIX - Mail Server Configuration - added feature to create template Fetchmail configuration
- FIX - Mail Server Configuration - /etc/courier/authmysqlrc MYSQL_PASSWORD setting was blank
- FIX - Mail Server Configuration - /etc/amavis/amavisd.conf lookup_sql_dsn setting had a blank password inserted
- FIX - Mail Server Configuration - /etc/postfix/main.cf myhostname setting was missing the actual hostname.localdomain, just had .localdomain
- ENHANCEMENT - relicenced under GPL version 3
Version 0.2.2 17th July 2007
- Moved package repository configuration from Package Management section to its ownPackage Repository Configuration
- Added Volatile and Volatile Sloppy
- Added tsclient + support for VNC, RDP, XDMCP; removes grdesktop [4.0/Etch]
Version 0.2.1 13th July 2007
- Added OpenSSH server installation
- Added backports.org repository archive key installation
- Fixed package management section that wouldn't run
- Fixed Simple Backup Suite option that ran the Bluetooth option instead
Version 0.2.0 8th May 2007
- Added mail server installation and configuration (based on Christoph Haas' 'ISP-style Email Service').
- Improved printing section, incorporating Foomatic and other packages.
- added smbclient to Samba server (cupsaddsmb requires it and it can be useful when troubleshooting).
- replaced thunderbird packages with icedove packages.
- asking for the root password for MySQL no longer echoes it to the screen.
- MUCH MORE TO BE ADDED HERE... Most of the changes from here have been added: http://thegoldenear.org/toolbox/unices/desktop-system-setup-debian-etch.html#changes
Version 0.1.0 8th October 2006
- Twix now additionally sets up desktop and server systems, offering installation of various packages.
Version 0.0.5 24th August 2005
- Changed Wget's option of 'non-verbose' to 'nv' so that this program's downloads using Wget will work with Wget 1.10 and later. Wget 1.10 changed the 'non-verbose' option to 'no-verbose' which resulted in Wget failing to work. 'nv' works with all versions of Wget. This problem affects the Wget currently in Debian Testing and the forthcoming version 'Etch' and not Debian 3.0 or 3.1.
Version 0.0.4 1st March 2005
- * Changed name from TWEAK to Twix (TWEAK Unix) to save confusion with TWEAK (for Windows)
- FEATURE: added option to 'Remove a user from a group'
- FEATURE: added option to 'Remove a Roaming Computing System user account'
- FEATURE: added option to 'Backup a user's Windows profile'
- FEATURE: added option to 'Restore a user's Windows profile from a backup'
- FEATURE: added option to display licence
- ENHANCEMENT - 'Create an organisation-wide group, directory and share' - now asks for organisation name and amends the [shared] section of our smb.conf to set the relevant directory name for the organisation
- ENHANCEMENT - 'Create an organisation-wide group, directory and share' - now asks for organisation directory and creates it
- ENHANCEMENT - 'Create sub-groups and shared directories for them' - when asks for sub-group, now creates that group rather than requiring it to have already been created
- ENHANCEMENT - merged 'Create system directories for Windows to use' into 'Install and configure Samba as a Primary Domain Controller'
- ENHANCEMENT: 'Install and configure Samba as a Primary Domain Controller' - added prompts for domain name and hostname, which are then inserted into the Samba config file
- ENHANCEMENT: 'Install and configure Samba as a Primary Domain Controller' - added creation of Samba account for root
- ENHANCEMENT: 'Install and configure Samba as a Primary Domain Controller' - if smb.conf exists it now prompts to see if you want to overwrite it
- ENHANCEMENT: re-wrote and re-factored menu
- ENHANCEMENT: all input is now checked to see that something was actually entered and the question re-asked if just [Enter] pressed; similarly some directories are now checked to see if they exist before dealing with them.
- FIX - when wget downloaded smb-conf-pdc.txt and NTELOGON.BAT and it already existed, it got renamed smb-conf-pdc.txt.x (where x is an incremented integer) so if you re-ran it and there were changes to the file this program wouldn't be picking them up as it would still be dealing with the old smb-conf-pdc.txt. The old file is now removed before downloading the new
- FIX: the main menu now works case insensitively. Previously it only worked with lower case
- FIX: 'Create a shared directory for a sub-group' - slight corruption in the script meant this might have dislayed an error after running this option
Version 0.0.3 20/2/04
- Tidied up menu
- Added creation of /usr/windows/preferences to 'create system directories for Windows to use'
- Added a check to make sure you want to run option 'a' because if you ran this in error it could be destructive