Roaming Computing System (Windows Edition) 5.0
A complete computing system for an organisation. This version is currently receiving security updates.
Workstations use Windows 7 (SP1, 64-bit) with the following software:
Audacity 2.0.5; Firefox 38.6.1 ESR** (with Zotero 184.108.40.206); Foxit Enterprise Reader 220.127.116.11*; GIMP 2.8.14; Inkscape 0.48.5-1*; Irfanview 4.38*; BlueGriffon 1.7.2; LibreOffice 4.4.6; Picasa 3.9 Build 141.255 (optional); Pidgin 2.10.10*; Scribus 1.4.4; Skype (MSI) 6.18.106*; Thunderbird 38.5** (with its built in Lightning); Microsoft Windows Media Player 11
7-Zip 9.20; Adblock Plus 2.6.10 for Firefox; CCleaner (Slim) 4.15; Enigmail 1.7.0 for Thunderbird; Flash Player 18.104.22.168** for Firefox; GIMP Help (En-GB) 2.8.1; GNU Ghostscript 9.14 for Scribus; GnuPG 1.4.19 for Enigmail; Irfanview Plugins 4.38; K-Lite Codec Pack (Standard) 11.9*; Mail Redirect 0.8.3 for Thunderbird; Malwarebytes Anti-malware 22.214.171.1244; Microsoft Security Essentials 4.6* **; OpenVPN 2.3.7-I603 (for remote workstations / laptops); Recuva (Slim) 1.51; Sun Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 7.0 u79* (out-of-date but it is not enabled in the browser); MySQL Connector/ODBC 5.3.2 (optional); Spellcheck dictionary (English - GB) 1.19.5 for Firefox and Thunderbird; Notepad++ 6.6.8; LibreOffice language pack (EN-UK) 4.4.6; Pidgin OTR 4.0.0-1*; Putty 0.66*; Tight VNC 2.7.10; Microsoft Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin 126.96.36.199; WinSCP 5.7.5*; WPKG-GP 0.17; Zotero LibreOffice Integration / Plugin 3.5.9; Zotero PDF indexing (Xpdf) 3.02
- TWEAK (Unattended) 0.9.14 is used for configuration (See TWEAK for more details)
The server uses Debian 7.9* 'Wheezy', a Linux operating system. The Windows domain is provided by Samba 3.6. Desktop software auto deployment is provided by WPKG 1.3.1. Email is supplied by a separate Internet hosted mail provider.
The firewall router uses pfSense 2.2.6*.
* and later through our security updates. ** and later through automatic updates.
- Latest version: 5.0.26 on 16 February 2016
- Release Notes - upgrade advice, known issues
- General changelog
- To-do list (outdated)
- packages.xml changelog
Day-to-day Admin Guides
System Setup Guides
- Setting up the server
- Setting up the firewall (needs updating for pfSense 2.0)
- Setting up a workstation (full install)
- Setting up a workstation (from image)
Custom Files For System Setup
- TWEAK (Unattended) 0.9.10 - a version of TWEAK for use with WPKG to automate system configuration and in logon scripts. Download tweak-0.9.10-unattended.zip or see the changelog.
- smb.conf 1.0 - Samba configuration file
- NETLOGON.BAT 3.0 - logon script
- netlogon.txt - append this to the end of the logon script to apply RCS 5.0.6 and later specific changes for each user.
- packages.xml - for WPKG-GP to know how to install, upgrade & remove applications
- profiles.xml - for WPKG-GP to know which applications to install
- hosts.xml - for WPKG-GP to know which workstations to install on
- Wpkg-GP.ini - Settings for WPKG-GP (requires adding the organisation-specific winuser password)
- tightvnc-settings.reg - TightVNC program settings (with password removed)
- klcp_standard_unattended.ini - K-Lite Codec Pack installer settings