Roaming Computing System (Windows Edition) 5.0
A complete computing system for an organisation. This version is currently supported.
Desktop PCs and laptops use Windows 7 (SP1, 64-bit) with the following software:
Audacity 2.0.5; Firefox 31.2.0 ESR (with Zotero 126.96.36.199); Foxit Enterprise Reader 188.8.131.525; GIMP 2.8.14; Inkscape 0.48.5-1; Irfanview 4.38; BlueGriffon 1.7.2; LibreOffice 4.2.7; Picasa 3.9 Build 139.161 (optional); Pidgin 2.10.10; Scribus 1.4.4; Skype (MSI) 6.18.106; Thunderbird 31.2.0 (with Lightning 3.3); Microsoft Windows Media Player 11
7-Zip 9.20; Adblock Plus 2.6.4 for Firefox; Ext2Fsd 0.69; CCleaner (Slim) 4.15; Enigmail 184.108.40.206 for Thunderbird; Flash Player 220.127.116.11* for Firefox; GIMP Help (En-GB) 2.8.1; GNU Ghostscript 9.14 for Scribus; GnuPG 1.4.19 for Enigmail; Irfanview Plugins 4.38; K-Lite Codec Pack (Standard) 11.2.8; Mail Redirect 0.8.3 for Thunderbird; Malwarebytes Anti-malware 2.0.2; Microsoft Security Essentials 4.6*; OpenVPN 2.3.7-I603 (for remote workstations / laptops); Recuva (Slim) 1.51; Sun Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 7.0 u79; MySQL Connector/ODBC 5.3.2 (optional); Spellcheck dictionary (English - GB) 1.19.5 for Firefox and Thunderbird; Notepad++ 6.6.8; LibreOffice language pack (EN-UK) 4.2.7; Pidgin OTR 4.0.0-1; Putty 0.67; Tight VNC 2.7.10; Microsoft Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin 18.104.22.168; WinSCP 5.7.7; WPKG-GP 0.17; Zotero LibreOffice Integration / Plugin 3.5.9; Zotero PDF indexing (Xpdf) 3.02
- TWEAK (Unattended) 0.9.13 is used for configuration (See TWEAK for more details)
The server uses Debian (Linux) 7.11 'Wheezy' (on 64-bit hardware); with Samba 3.6 providing the Windows domain, and desktop software auto deployment by WPKG 1.3.1. Email is supplied by a separate Internet hosted mail provider.
The firewall router uses pfSense 2.3.5 (on 64-bit hardware).
All of this software is updated with security updates. * indicates that later updates will install through automatic updates.
- Latest version: 5.0.54 in November 2017
- Release Notes - upgrade advice, known issues
- General changelog
- packages.xml changelog
Day-to-day Admin Guides
System Setup Guides
- Setting up the server
- Setting up the firewall (needs updating for pfSense 2)
- Setting up a workstation (full install)
- Setting up a workstation (from image)
Custom Files For System Setup
- TWEAK (Unattended) 0.9.13 - a version of TWEAK for use with WPKG to automate system configuration and in logon scripts. Download tweak-0.9.13-unattended.zip or see the changelog.
- smb.conf 1.0 - Samba configuration file
- NETLOGON.BAT 3.0 - logon script
- netlogon.txt - append this to the end of the logon script to apply RCS 5.0.6 and later specific changes for each user.
- packages.xml - for WPKG-GP to know how to install, upgrade & remove applications
- profiles.xml - for WPKG-GP to know which applications to install
- hosts.xml - for WPKG-GP to know which workstations to install on
- Wpkg-GP.ini - Settings for WPKG-GP (requires adding the organisation-specific winuser password)
- tightvnc-settings.reg - TightVNC program settings (with password removed)
- klcp_standard_unattended.ini - K-Lite Codec Pack installer settings