Roaming Computing System (Windows Edition) 5.0.x
A complete computing system for an organisation. This version is currently supported.
Desktop PCs and laptops use Windows 7 (SP1, 64-bit) with the following software:
- Applications: Firefox 60.1.0 ESR; LibreOffice 5.4.7; Thunderbird 60; GIMP 2.10.0; Irfanview 4.51; Inkscape 0.48.5-1; Scribus 1.5.4; Audacity 2.0.5; BlueGriffon 1.7.2; Foxit Enterprise Reader 9.2; Pidgin 2.12.0; Skype 8; Zotero Standalone 5.0.30 (includes Zotero LibreOffice Plugin 3.5.x and Word plugin); Microsoft Windows Media Player 11
- Sundry: 7-Zip 18.0.5; Adblock Plus 3.0.4 for Firefox; Ext2Fsd 0.69; CCleaner 5.37; Enigmail 2.0.4 for Thunderbird; Flash Player* for Firefox; GNU Ghostscript 9.23 for Scribus; GPG4Win 3.1.2 (inlcudes GnuPG) for Enigmail; Irfanview Plugins 4.51; K-Lite Codec Pack (Standard) 14.3.0; Mail Redirect 0.8.7 for Thunderbird; Malwarebytes Anti-malware 2.0.2; Microsoft Security Essentials*; OpenVPN 2.4.6-I602 (for remote PCs); Recuva 1.53; Sun Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 8.0 u171; Spellcheck dictionary (English - GB) (Forked by Marco Pinto) 2.47 for Firefox and Thunderbird; Notepad++ 7.3.3; LibreOffice language pack (EN-UK) 5.4.7; Pidgin OTR 4.0.2; Putty 0.67; Tight VNC 2.7.10; WinSCP 5.9.2; WPKG-GP 0.17; Zotero Connector for Firefox 5.0.29; Zotero PDF indexing (Xpdf) 3.02
- Optional: Google Chrome; RefsBase; Myriad; MySQL Connector/ODBC 5.3.2
- System configuration: TWEAK (Unattended) 0.9.13 is used for configuration (See TWEAK for more details)
The server uses Debian (Linux) 7.11 'Wheezy' (on 64-bit hardware); with Samba 3.6 providing the Windows domain, and desktop software auto deployment by WPKG 1.3.1. Email is supplied by a separate Internet hosted mail provider.
The firewall router uses pfSense 2.4.3_1 (on 64-bit hardware).
All of this software is updated with security updates. * indicates that later updates will install through automatic updates.
- Latest version: 5.0.x in 2018
- Release Notes - upgrade advice, known issues
- General changelog
- packages.xml changelog
Day-to-day Admin Guides
System Setup Guides
- Setting up the server
- Setting up the firewall (needs updating for pfSense 2)
- Setting up a workstation (full install)
- Setting up a workstation (from image)
Custom Files For System Setup
- TWEAK (Unattended) 0.9.13 - a version of TWEAK for use with WPKG to automate system configuration and in logon scripts. Download tweak-0.9.13-unattended.zip or see the changelog.
- smb.conf 1.0 - Samba configuration file
- NETLOGON.BAT 3.0 - logon script
- netlogon.txt - append this to the end of the logon script to apply RCS 5.0.6 and later specific changes for each user.
- packages.xml - for WPKG-GP to know how to install, upgrade & remove applications
- profiles.xml - for WPKG-GP to know which applications to install
- hosts.xml - for WPKG-GP to know which workstations to install on
- Wpkg-GP.ini - Settings for WPKG-GP (requires adding the organisation-specific winuser password)
- tightvnc-settings.reg - TightVNC program settings (with password removed)
- klcp_standard_unattended.ini - K-Lite Codec Pack installer settings
- master_preferences - for Google Chrome