Roaming Computing System (Windows Edition) 4.0
A complete computing system for an organisation. This version is currently receiving security updates.
Workstations use Windows XP (SP3, 32-bit) with the following software:
Audacity 2.0.0; FileZilla 3.5.3*; Firefox 10.0.12ESR* (with Zotero 3.0.2); Foxit Enterprise Reader 126.96.36.199*; GIMP 2.8.0; InfraRecorder 0.5.2; Inkscape 0.48.4-1*; Irfanview 4.32; BlueGriffon 1.4; LibreOffice 3.5.7; Picasa 3.9.0 Build 135.80; Pidgin 2.10.7*; Scribus 1.4.0; Skype (Business Version) 188.8.131.52*; Thunderbird 10.0.12ESR* (with Lightning 1.2.3); Microsoft Windows Media Player 11
7-Zip 9.20; Adblock Plus 2.0.3 for Firefox; Adobe Universal PostScript Driver 1.0.6; CCleaner (Slim) 3.15.1643; CUPS PostScript printer driver for Windows 6.0; Enigmail 1.3.5 for Thunderbird; Flash Player 11.7.700.202* for Firefox; GIMP Help (En-GB) 2.8.0; GNU Ghostscript 9.05 for Scribus; GnuPG 1.4.12 for Enigmail; Irfanview Plugins 4.32; K-Lite Codec Pack (Standard) 9.9.0*; Mail Redirect 0.7.6.9 for Thunderbird; Microsoft Security Essentials 4.0.15* **; Recuva (Slim) 1.42.544; Sun Java Runtime Environment 6.0 u45*; MySQL Connector/ODBC 3.51.28; Spellcheck dictionary (English - GB) 1.19.1 for Firefox and Thunderbird; Nero BurnRights 184.108.40.206; Notepad++ 5.9.6; OpenOffice language pack (EN-UK) 3.5.7; Pidgin OTR 3.2.1-2*; Putty 0.62*; QT Lite 4.1.0; Real Alternative Lite 2.0.1; Tight VNC 2.0.4; Microsoft User Profile Hive Cleanup Service 1.6g; Microsoft Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin 220.127.116.11; WinSCP 5.1.4*; WPKG Client 1.3.14; Zotero LibreOffice Plugin 3.5.2; Zotero PDF indexing 3.02
- TWEAK 0.9.4.2 and TWEAK (Unattended) 0.9.7 are used for configuration
The server uses Debian 4.0 'Etch', a Linux operating system (or 5.0 'Lenny' if mail server not required). The Windows domain is provided by Samba 3.0.24. Print serving (optional) is provided by CUPS 1.2.7 and Samba. Mail serving is provided by Postfix 2.3.8, Dovecot 1.0 POP3/IMAP and SASL, AMaViS 2.4.2, Clam AntiVirus 0.93.1*, SpamAssassin 3.2.3*, Squirrelmail 1.4.9a and Virtual Mail Manager 1.7. Desktop software auto deployment is provided by WPKG 1.3.0.
The firewall appliance uses pfSense 2.0.3*.
* and later through our security updates. ** and later through automatic updates.
- Latest version: 4.0.14 on 14 May 2013
- Release Notes - upgrade advice, known issues, continually updated
- General changelog
- To-do list
- packages.xml changelog
Day-to-day Admin Guides
- Admin Guide
- Making user accounts - Windows domain accounts, mailboxes and forwardings
- Making user accounts - supplemental guide for major proprietary applications
System Setup Guides
- Setting up the server
- Setting up the firewall (needs updating for pfSense 2.0)
- Setting up a workstation (full install)
- Setting up a workstation (from image)
- Setting up a workstation - supplemental guide for major proprietary applications
Custom Files For System Setup
- TWEAK (Unattended) 0.9.7 - a version of TWEAK for use with WPKG to automate system configuration and in logon scripts. Download tweak-0.9.7-unattended.zip or see the changelog.
- netlogon.txt - append this to the end of the logon script, NETLOGON.BAT, to apply RCS 4.0-specific user configuration.
- packages.xml - for WPKG to know how to install, upgrade & remove applications
- profiles.xml - for WPKG to know which applications to install
- hosts.xml - for WPKG to know which workstations to install on
- wpkg-start.bat - for WPKG, used to manually start it
- wpkg-client-settings.xml - Settings for WPKG Client (requires adding the organisation-specific domain name (in 'WPKG path user' or 'path-user') and winuser password (in 'WPKG path password' or 'path-password', note you must add this one from within WPKG Client as it's encrypted) then export to \\server\windows-admin\wpkg\wpkg-client\settings.xml for import to other workstations)
- tightvnc-settings.reg - TightVNC program settings (with password removed)
- klcp_standard_unattended.ini - K-Lite Codec Pack installer settings
- remove-all-packages.bat - uses WPKG to remove all installed packages, useful for testing purposes